Last night, I attended Daymond John's (ABC's "Shark Tank", FUBU founder) talk at KSU. Wow.
My "streams of consciousness" summary ...
1. Very straightforward, creative cat.
2. Lectured using a DJ who played the soundtrack of his life while he talked. Nice.
3. Embraced Hip-Hop as a culture (a way of life) when others criticized it as bad music, and ignored it as a market.
4. Heard "no" a lot, but interprets the word as "definitely maybe".
5. Original company name was BUFU - but that got him too much unwanted attention :-).
6. Despite his initial objection, his Mom made the move that helped attract the financing he needed to expand FUBU.
7. Built his successful brand FUBU by taking chances, correcting mistakes, hustling hard, and taking advantage of opportunities ...
8. Lost his family on his road to success, but did not lose the lesson.
9. Loves The Kardashian Sisters. He knows that they know that they know nothing - except how to show people what people want to see.
10. Lives by SHARK rules ...
Daymond John (FUBU founder, "Shark Tank") speaks at Kennesaw State University (3/28/2012)(by Rodney Ho, AJC)